How to Play
Battlestorm is a fast-paced team sport that plays like a combination of basketball, capture-the-flag, handball, team handball, and freeze tag. The offensive team is called “The Town” and tries to transport balls from one side of the court to the other. The other team is called “The Storm” and plays defense.
Possessing a Ball
Town players can pick up balls from containers in each end zone. Players are allowed to run with the ball, pass it to a teammate, or shoot it into the goal.
Town players score by getting a ball from one end zone into the scoring unit on the other side. Play occurs in both directions at once, so the Town can score going in either direction.
Freezing and Unfreezing
If a Town player is tagged by a Storm player while in the field of play they become “frozen.”
Frozen players are unfrozen if one of their teammates tags them, or throws a ball to them.
Storm players are allowed to pick up dead balls from the court. If they can throw these balls into the dedicated scoring unit located out of bounds at midcourt they trigger a “Storm Surge” and take away one of the points the Town has scored.
At the Big Event, teams will gain access to special powers to help them defeat the Hurricane. Teams will earn tokens as people upload photos of their hurricane prep kits to the website, and they can cash these tokens in before each period to buy the powers they’ll need.
- Shelter = Extra Shelter The Town places a permanent, additional shelter anywhere on the court. (1 token)
- Rain Jacket = Extra Player The Town gets an additional player. (3 tokens)
- Flashlight =
Remove Storm Player The Storm team plays with one fewer player. (3 tokens)
- Radio = Bigger End Zones The fronts of both end zones on are both moved up 3 feet. (2 tokens)
- Roadmap = Wider Field Both sidelines are extended out an additional 5 feet. (2 tokens)
- Cash = Bonus Balls 5 special colored balls are added to both ball containers. These balls each count for double points. (2 tokens)
- Generator = Extra Balls An additional 5 balls are added to both ball containers. (1 token)
- Batteries = Extra Time An additional minute is added to the period or half. (2 tokens)
- Weather Report =
Anti-Storm Surge The Storm Surge scoring unit is moved back 5 feet, making it harder to shoot into. (1 token)